Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Limping Painfully Toward the Finish Line

I've never been a runner.  Never.  I've tried to pretend, but generally I look good and feel good for all of 1 city block and then I'm a horrid mess for the rest of whatever distance I choose to torture myself with. 

I have once run an official organized 5K race...ok, well saying that I ran it is giving myself far more credit than I deserve.  I ran and jogged and walked and limped a bit through it.  I was the second to last person to cross the finish line....ah, the pride! 

Why am I telling you this? 

Here's why...

This challenge that I've been doing has felt a bit like a race, a good long marathon, you know what I mean?  And since I've never REALLY competed in a big race, I've never really had the chance to come face to face with the finish line after running miles and miles and miles.  I assume for those of you who have had this experience, seeing that finish line gives you a huge burst of energy, you feel like you're flying down the road for the last 1/4 mile or so.  There is usually excitement and a sense of accomplishment you feel as you realize that this whole race will be finished quite quickly.  You just have a little while left to push and you do it with pride... 

At least, this is how I ASSUME people feel when they're about to finish a race.

I, on the other hand, find myself at the end of my race, but instead of a sense of pride and desire to finish strong, I find myself crawling pathetically toward the finish line.  I'm still doing the things I should, but not with the same vigor that I have all along.  I actually almost even feel like I'm on the raceway, I can see the finish line and I choose to walk off the path and quit without crossing the finish line. 

PATHETIC!!!

It maybe isn't quite as bad as all that, but I've definitely become lax this week.  I just want to be done and go back to my self decided weight loss program.

But, here's to 1 more day of this challenge!  Hope I get back on the path and finish my day strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment